Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Born Upside Down

Isang institusyon, yan ang Eraserheads. I grew up listening to them, it was my brother who introduced them to me & to my sister, he was the one who bought the Ultraelectricmagneticpop album cos I always chant Toyang at home way back in grade school. I can still remember that I have their cassette tapes (oh di ba jologs pa) from Ultraelectric…, Circus, Cutterpillow, etc. Treasured possessions ko pa mga yun. May kagaguhan pa nga ko nun cos when my classmate said na mala Eagles’ Hotel California daw ang songs na Eheads - that when you back masked the tape you’ll hear songs for the devil. Gaya naman ako, I reversed the tape only to find side A tracks now on side B hehehe.

My favorite album is Circus, syempre andyan yung songs like With A Smile, Sembreak, Alapaap. Praning days ko yun I was in 2nd year high school and it was literally the sem break for college students (my sister was home from the university) while I was on all saints/souls holiday. I would let the stereo blare in the room that I share with my sister. Ayos lang sa kanya, we would both shout at the top of our lungs “Baskeball sa banyo”. I would memorize the lyrics and I was so proud that I was one of the few in school na alam lyrics cos not all in our class can sing Butterscotch na tama ang words. Oh and don’t forget Poor Man’s Grave – cool ka pag alam mong i-analyze ang social issues ng song na yun.

Wala lang, why am I writing about them? Siguro kase a tribute album was made and syempre wala pa rin papantay sa original Eheads. Beatles ng Pinas yan. At sa ka-henerasyon kong di nakakakilala sa kanila – tatamaan ka ng kidlat at ikamamatay mo yun.


At dahil wala na naman akong sense, all I can do is shake my head and walk away.

No comments: