Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Prince Charming

I have read this one guy’s blog while browsing through new music talents on Myspace to update my musical intelligence. Without his permission I’d like to post what he thinks about for all of you to ponder on:

Prin(cess) Charming (by Dave of CIWWAF)

There's something I always found a little odd about princess oriented fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, etc. etc.

They are all stories about insanely gorgeous women who are somehow caught in a very precarious situation and can only be saved by the grace of a young prince who carries them away to "happily ever after"...This sets a horribly dangerous and lopsided standard in my eyes. These myths subconsciously embed a sense of weakness in women and puts an extremely unfair amount of pressure on dudes. These plot-lines imply that women are helpless and somewhat incomplete until a man of high stature on a white steed comes along who can fulfill their dreams and whisk them away to a castle in the clouds.

I have no steed. I have no castle. And, I’m not very good at saving people.

Especially not doped out princesses.

On the contrary, I find that I am the one that needs saving most of the time. I am the character lost in a deep sleep waiting to be taken to a faraway place...I am the lost soul that finds guidance in the form of a beautiful girl who whisks my soul away to a place in the clouds. Maybe it doesn't fit the archetype, but I can only speak for myself. I've spoken before about how I don't want to need others in order to feel normal...but sometimes there is something missing that can only be found in the eyes of sleeping beauty on a white steed.

Until I' am rescued, you know where I'll be...”

Neat huh? Exactly my thoughts although I am not one of those who can be described as a damsel in distress. I am very well capable of taking care of myself but that doesn’t mean I don’t need saving. I don’t want to sound as if I am in a place where I am not happy (maybe) but there is always this desire to be in places you can’t be. I just miss being me, not that I am just pretending to be someone else I am not... I just miss the old me. The “me-now” is not as effervescent as the old me. The old me wouldn’t care about sleeping late even if tomorrow is just another work day. The old me would not care about the matter of the consequences (as the little prince would put it). The old me would just laugh and dance away at anything. As one ages I guess these things happen. So now I am just here sitting in the dark waiting for anyone charming enough (need not be a prince) to save me from being the saddest person on earth.

PS: I am not depressed not happy either but I’m okay ;) and I feel truly blessed so throw away that rope you’re handing me. And don’t push me to the edge, I don’t want to jump :D

No comments: